The First Wave of World’s Collapsing Cities
Below table lists the world’s cities that are likely to collapse completely or partially by or before 2012¹ in the first wave of collapse. The collapse would be caused by a combination of failing ecosystems, human-enhanced environmental catastrophes; failing infrastructure; food, water and fuel shortages; infectious disease; war, civil conflict and other dynamics. Following the first phase of collapse, massive waves of human migration from the affected areas create a domino effect that causes the collapse of the remaining population centers shortly after.
Is your city safe?
To prevent misuse of data, commercial exploitation, or property speculation, the project coordinators are withholding names and specific details of the first phase of world’s collapsing cities until further notice. See table below for general information.
Table C.1. No. of world cities that could collapse completely or partially by 2012, the corresponding regions/countries and number of people that would be affected initially, according to the worst case future scenario. (Sources: MSRB, CASF)
1. The date “2012” is based on the dynamic model simulations analyzing the environmental impact of excessive energy consumption. The CASF Committee and Members do NOT endorse Mayan Calendar, any New Age, ancient, or bible prophecies whatever.
The Dynamics of Collapse
The following exhibit lists the most probable [leading] causes that would drive the first wave of world’s cities to collapse. [Note: Data is listed alphabetically]
- Accumulation of toxic pollution in the environment
- Civil conflict
- Collapse of fisheries/fish species
- Collapse of natural pest regulation systems
- Corporate mass homicide
- Economic collapse
- Epidemics of plant and animal diseases
- Excessive energy consumption
- Extreme climatic events (including extreme rain events, floods)
- Failing ecosystems
- Foodborne, waterborne, airborne and insectborne infectious diseases (viral, bacterial, parasitic, fungal, prion)
- Fuel shortage
- Global collapse of pollinators
- Habitat destruction
- Human-enhanced natural catastrophes including earthquakes, floods, tsunamis, hurricanes, tropical storms, cyclones, extreme rainfall events, landslides, volcanic eruptions, droughts and wildfires …
- Human-induced climate change
- Increased UV radiation
- Industrial accidents (including radionuclide, chemical and oil spills)
- Inordinate prevalence of psychopathology caused by exponential growth economy: money fetishism, industrialism, militarism, atomistic lifestyles, consumerism, throwaway culture, dysfunctional societies …
- Land use change
- Loss of Topsoil
- Loss of Will to Live
- Mass migrations
- Mass murder/suicide as a result of neurological disorder caused by mercury [other heavy metals,] poisoning, biochemical poisoning, contaminated food and water supplies, tainted drugs especially vaccines
- Moral decline (unethical behavior, unsustainable lifestyles, overconsumption)
- New Strains of Superbugs, super bacteria, killer fungi
- Overshoot of Carrying Capacity; Increased ecological footprint; Overpopulation (esp. DCs*)
- Overwhelmed by mounting waste: agricultural, municipal (garbage and sewage) and industrial
- Poor global harvest/Food scarcity [Humans are one harvest away from starvation!]
- Running Dry (Running out of freshwater)
- Sinking into the ground (large-scale subsidence caused by overuse of groundwater supplies)
- Societal collapse
- Soil degradation (salination, erosion … )
- Spread of pandemic diseases
- The American Dream (and its global equivalents)
- The death of truth, surrender of concreteness to abstractions, defeat of ‘right’ by ‘sight,’ loss of reason [and the essential faculties needed] to advance to the future
- Tourism [euphemistically, eco-tourism]
- War (conventional and nuclear)
- Unnamed mechanisms
- Unknown causes or new mechanisms of collapse
*DCs: Developed Countries
- Cyprus Collapse May Be Imminent! ( July 19, 2008 )
- Giga Trends ( April 7, 2008 )
- Root Cause Matrix ( April 7, 2008 )
- Failing Ecosystems
- 500 Weather-Related Disasters A Year
- Greenland Ice Melt Faster Than IPCC Estimates
- Drying Aquifers, Sinking Cities
- State of the World
- Future Scenarios
- Ghost towns
- Stop Burning Earth
- Human-induced Climate Change ( Feb 25, 2008 )
- Mining Sets Off Earthquake ( Feb 25, 2008 )
Early Warning Signs:
- Climate Change Spreads “Deadly Dozen” Diseases ( October 8, 2008 )
- Italy’s “trash tsar” takes charge see Video report
- Whose thirst comes first? Orlando, Jacksonville areas face water war
- The Great Flood: Britain under water (Video)
- Britain under flood
- Australia suffers worst drought in 1,000 years .
- China floods ‘worst ever’ .
- Jakarta Floods Linked to Illegal Constructions .
- 54,700 Dead Or Missing In Worst North Korean Floods Ever .
- Millions flee ‘worst ever’ floods .
- Outbreak of rare Ebola virus in Uganda worsens .
- Investigation of Outbreak of Human Infections Caused by E. coli O157:H7 .
- A Major Outbreak of Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome in Hong Kong .
- Hurricane Katrina .
- Snowblower met with 12-gauge in Quebec after 460cm snowfall ( March 13, 2008 )
- United Kingdom foot-and-mouth crisis .
- U.K. moves to contain another spread of foot-and-mouth disease .
- Floods in southeast Europe leave villages, farms under water .
- Africa: Over a billion people in 100 countries face a bleak future due to climate change
- China reels from worst drought in a decade ( December 2007 )
- Cities sinking due to excessive pumping of groundwater
Goiania Radiological Incident (PDF 6.4MB)