A confirmation of tipping point is presented in the following report by James Hansen, NASA climatologist:
Excerpts from Hansen’s report:
- We are at the tipping point because the climate state includes large, ready positive feedbacks provided by the Arctic sea ice, the West Antarctic ice sheet, and much of Greenland’s ice.
- Our home planet is dangerously near a tipping point at which human-made greenhouse gases reach a level where major climate changes can proceed mostly under their own momentum. Warming will shift climatic zones by intensifying the hydrologic cycle, affecting freshwater availability and human health.
The ice in the Arctic is much younger than normal, with vast regions now covered by first-year ice and much less area covered by multiyear ice. Left: February distribution of ice by its age during normal Arctic conditions (1985-2000 average). Right: February 2008 Arctic ice age distribution. Credit: NSIDC [Caption: NASA]
- Arctic Melting FAST!
- Greenland Ice Melt Faster Than IPCC Estimates
- Only Zero Emissions Would Avert Dangerous Warming
- Stern Report: “a great toxic dump of doublespeak in truly Orwellian fashion”